Cacao. The food of the Mayan gods. An antioxidant superfood. The product that creates chocolate. Need more convincing? We don’t.
1. Cacao is antioxidant rich. Antioxidants neutralise harmful free radicals that can damage the body’s healthy cells. Free radicals is linked with ageing and disease. Comparatively, per 100g, cacao has more antioxidants than other superfoods such as acai and goji berries. So chocolate can be good for you!
2. Cacao has also been found to be a natural mood enhancer. It contains anandamide, the bliss molecule which creates the feeling of euphoria. Did you know higher levels of anandamide can help us feel less anxious and fearful?
3. Cacao can help boost your energy. Cacao is rich in magnesium, which helps build strong bones, assists with diseases of the heart and blood vessels, and increases energy and endurance.
4. Cacao can help keep you full. This is a reason why there are weight loss products out there that contain cacao. So don't be fooled, those products won't help you lose weight, but suppress your appetite.
5. Cacao also has high amounts of PEA, the love molecule. Phenylethylamine is produced naturally in our body when we fall in love. Only contained in raw cacao, as it is heat sensitive.